Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mom-nap.

I pick up the phone with my mouth full of breakfast.
"Hi honey, what are you doing?" I hear Amy say on the other side of the line.
"Are you home yet?" She continues.
"Yes" I mumble as I swallow my bite.
"Oh."
"Why? What is it?" I ask her.
"I can't find my ID and I need it to buy food today."
"Where do you think it is?"
"Probably in the car. I think it fell out of my coat this morning. It probably fell of as I kissed Judah goodbye"
"We will be there as soon as we finish the German pancakes and get dressed" (We were still in our PJ's)
"Do you have anything to eat or do you need me to come right now" I ask even though I really want to finish breakfast first.
"No, I can eat a granola bar for breakfast. Can you bring my journal to?"
"Sure, I love you."
"I love you too, see you soon"

Click.

An hour later Judah and I walk down the back stairs ready to conquer the day. As I open the garage door I realize that I forgot the journal.
"Get in the car Judah, I will be right back." I say.
"But, why?"
"I forgot something for mama." I say as I run back up the stairs.

Dialing Amy's number while buckling up Judah. The phone rings three times. she probably won't pick up. She hardly ever does when she is working.

"Hello?" I hear as I wait for the garage door to close again.
"I am on my way."
"Ok I will wait outside. Around the corner from where you dropped me of this morning. You know the double doors right there?"
"Ok, I'll be there in a few."
"Bye"

As we pull up Judah spots Amy and yells "Mommy!"
"Did you find it?" she asks me as she opens the door.
"I haven't looked yet, but I brought your journal" I say as I get out to look behind and under my seat.
"Are you having a good morning Judah?" She asks him as she reaches over the chair to give him a kiss.
"Here it is," I say, "it probably fell of as you said goodbye to Judah this morning."
"Yeah, that's what I thought"
"Are you done working mommy?" Judah asks her with hope ringing in his voice.
"No." She says, as she sits on her knees in the front seat reaching over to give him another kiss.
"I have to work all day and all night. But I will be home all day tomorrow."

It is quiet for a moment and as Amy turns to ask me a question Judah yells: "Drive papa, drive."
I start to laugh. My son wants to mom-nap Amy.
"I can't Judah" I say. I continue to tell Amy what my plans are for the day. And he yells it again. I know that he is serious so I start to laugh. We kiss Amy goodbye and part our ways.

"Why didn't you drive away papa?"
"Because mama has to work all day" I answer.
"Can you put my window all the way down?" He asks, as he looks at a sick man on a stretcher being put in tan ambulance .
"I just saw a sick man papa, did you see that too?
"I did" I say as we leave the hospital driveway.
"Lets get something for mama for tomorrow OK?"
"What papa?"
"It is a surprise."


This morning I dropped Amy of at the hospital. Judah and I said our goodbyes and went back home to eat our breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment